Friday, July 23, 2010

Natalie Merchant - The Sleepy Giant

I've had a wild ride of a week, and what's helped me plug through is a CD set my friend Leann gave me recently, Natalie Merchant's Leave Your Sleep. You wouldn't think that setting nursery rhymes to music would engage, well, big people. As a matter of fact I think that, given the lyrics of some, they're far more enjoyable to big people. The best thing about the release is that instead of the usual liner notes, there's actually a small book of the nursery rhymes with a short bio on each of the writers. So you get to sing along to Bleezer's Ice Cream when she rattles off all twenty-eight flavors of ice cream - which you will want to do. But her range, from sad to amusing; from blue grass to ballad to kletzmer and carnival, is a wild ride of it's own.



What have you been listening to?

No comments:

Share this with the world

Bookmark and Share