It was the mid-nineties when my friend Leann and I drove to a small high school auditorium in Cleveland to see DCD. It seemed an odd juxtaposition to us at the time; such an incredible band playing in such an obscure place. But they were full of of such anomalies. I remember being transfixed by how Lisa Girard would remain almost motionless while singing amidst such a swirl of sound. I believe their music was found in the 'world music' section of the store, but that always seemed a trifle inadequate. Not only does their music elude a specific country, it eludes time. If Homer's Iliad needed a soundtrack, this would be it. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Helen of Troy, whose face launched a thousand ships, looked strikingly familiar ...
Happy weekend, friends!
Friday, December 10, 2010
Thursday, December 9, 2010
2. Spend some quality time with my sisters and friends.
3. Sing Christmas carols with Pink Martini.
4. Wrap my gifts with Pantone's Color of the Year 2011.
5. Wander aimlessly. With my camera.
6. Shoot for the 102310 Holidays in B&W project.
7. Give more to the Kidney Foundation.
8. Finish Proust's Swann's Way.
9. Look into that ballet class I promised myself when I finished with classes.
10. Gear up for mysterious developments in 2011.
What are you doing this month?