Friday, December 10, 2010

Cantara - Dead Can Dance

It was the mid-nineties when my friend Leann and I drove to a small high school auditorium in Cleveland to see DCD. It seemed an odd juxtaposition to us at the time; such an incredible band playing in such an obscure place. But they were full of of such anomalies. I remember being transfixed by how Lisa Girard would remain almost motionless while singing amidst such a swirl of sound. I believe their music was found in the 'world music' section of the store, but that always seemed a trifle inadequate. Not only does their music elude a specific country, it eludes time. If Homer's Iliad needed a soundtrack, this would be it. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Helen of Troy, whose face launched a thousand ships, looked strikingly familiar ...



Happy weekend, friends!

No comments:

Share this with the world

Bookmark and Share