Sunday, January 8, 2012

More Mushrooms





Whenever I sit down to download pictures of mushrooms, I have my guide right next to. "This time," I tell myself, "I'm going to identify each and every one of them. If it kills me." I flip through the polypores. I scour the earth tongues and the inky caps and the jelly fungi. I think I've identified one, then see that it can be found in Central Ohio in March, not January. I consult the Ohio Mushroom Society. I take a break to get some almonds. How can I be all out of almonds? Okay, I consult the Audubon Society online guide. Nothing? Then I visit the online resource at OSU. And then I pull out all my hair. There are 2,000 species of mushrooms in Ohio? Seriously? I go back to one picture, satisfied that I know what a Turkey Tail looks like.

No comments:

Share this with the world

Bookmark and Share