Sunday, October 31, 2010

Toy

My photo assignment this week was to take a favorite childhood toy and photograph it in a displaced manner.

First of all, I didn't have a lot of childhood toys to begin with. I don't say this with any regret; I spent most of my childhood outside playing in the woods behind the house, which was my own big, private playground. I liked playing outside. And I don't recall the few toys I did have with any passionate fondness.

I certainly didn't save any toys from my childhood, so I had to figure something out. I went to the thrift store, certain I would find something that spoke to me and was somehow in keeping with the assignment. And that's when I found her. I've never owned a porcelain doll, and considering this is Halloween, she takes on a real spookiness. I photographed her outside in the dried leaves, I propped her up on the window sill, even situated her in a tree. No matter where I put her, she seemed to be witness to some horrid crime. I have to wonder ... whose doll was she? And what did she see?

I think she does conjure some childhood emotions. Like fear, to name one.

If you want to see the other shots of her, please go here.

No comments:

Share this with the world

Bookmark and Share