Sunday, June 7, 2009

Closer





My Sweet Bay Magnolia has finally bloomed, and while this may seem an uneventful occasion for most, it made me pause and reflect upon the year that has passed and how much, and how little, has changed in the year since I last photographed its blossoms. While the nuances would get lost in a blog post, I feel myself getting closer to a vision of life that involves more joy and less stress.

My husband and I tackled that basement this weekend. In October of ’08, I saw this at Inspired Room and printed it out as motivation. I longed for a basement and garage that I could walk into and know exactly where to go to find whatever it was I was looking for, and to end those needless trips to Lowes to buy yet another pack of sandpaper or quart of varnish because I couldn’t find the one we bought only weeks ago. What’s more, I haven’t been in my studio in the basement for too long because of the chaos surrounding it. It is a myth that messiness and creativity necessarily go hand-in-hand. We opened boxes we hadn’t opened since we moved in six years ago. I went through paperwork of things that I kept over several years and found humor and solace in the things I was interested in and chose to keep.

Our basement doesn’t look like the one in my fantasies … yet. But I can make my way to the place where I paint, and I have lots of inspiration as fuel.

No comments:

Share this with the world

Bookmark and Share